Name of the project Prime Minister’s Initiative for Save the Calf
The project will be executed throughout Pakistan (Punjab, Sindh, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa KP, Balochistan) including Islamabad Capital Territory (ICT), Gilgit Baltistan (GB) and Azad Jammu & Kashmir (AJK)
Authorities responsible for:
Government of Pakistan through Ministry of National Food Security & Research Islamabad and respective Provincial Governments.
- All Provincial Departments of Livestock and Dairy Development.
- Livestock Departments of AJK, GB, and ICT.
- Livestock and Dairy Development Board (LDDB) Islamabad.
- Operation and maintenance:
- All provincial Livestock and Dairy Development Departments
- b) Livestock Departments of AJK, GB, and ICT
- c) Livestock and Dairy Development Board (LDDB) Islamabad
- Concerned federal ministry:
Ministry of National Food Security & Research through the Livestock and Dairy Development Board (LDDB) Islamabad.
Federal Government : Rs.1,103.382million (20%)
Provincial Government : Rs. 2,298.320 million (80%)
Total : Rs.3,401.699 million
The overall objective of this project is to increase the production of high-quality beef in the country by saving 380,000 male calves in the country during the next four years. These calves will be saved up to the age of 3 months and attain an average body weight of 65-70 kg per calf.
The specific objectives of this project include:
- To provide a foundation of healthy young calves (3-4 months old) in the country for subsequent back-grounding and feedlot fattening.
- To save the young calf from early slaughtering for enhanced meat production and profitability of the livestock farmers
- The motivation of farmers (incentive) to reduce the mortality in young calves due to diseases and malnutrition
- Capacity building of farmers and field staff for successful calf rearing along with the encouragement of good animal husbandry practices
- Poverty reduction through the generation of calf rearing business opportunities
- To pave the way to increase quality beef production in Pakistan.
Quantitative project objectives are to achieve:
- Mobilization through capacity building of more than 50,000 small and medium-sized livestock farmers to save the young calves.
- To provide a foundation of 380,000 healthy young calves (3-4 months old) in the country for subsequent feedlot fattening.
- To reduce the mortality in young calves from 30 to 5 percent.
- Training of 50,000 livestock farmers for successful calf rearing along with the encouragement of good animal husbandry practices.
- The 100,000 healthy young saved calves if grown for next 8-10 months and fattened to achieve a bodyweight of around 150 kg, it will add more than 7.2 million kilograms of quality beef produced annually in the country.
- By achieving the total target of saving the 380,000 young calves and growing/fattening them to attain 150 kg of body weight per calf, an additional amount of 27.36 million kg beef can be produced during next 4 years in Pakistan.
Poverty reduction through the generation of calf rearing business opportunities
Physical Progress Report Save the calf Project
Report updated up to: 30-06-2022
|Region||PC-1 Target of Calves Saved|| No of calves Saved in 2019-20 & 20-21||No of calves Saved in FY 2021-22||Total Targets achieved in 3 Years||% Achievement||No of farmers supported in 3 Years||No of farmers trained|
|AJK|| 12,000||4,306||2,224|| 6,530||54%|| 584|| 720|